SISTER vs SISTER BakeOff | Fall edition
Updated: Feb 28, 2019
First of all, who doesn’t love the Fall season? What’s not to love! The crisp mornings, the leaves change colour, sweater weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Fall-scented candles, and of course...baking!
Welcome to SISTER vs SISTER BakeOff - Fall edition. We chose to bake the two most famous desserts of the season - Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie!
My sister, Noor made the Apple Pie and I made the Pumpkin Pie. YUM!
Here’s how to make the delicious recipes
How To Make Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin 1 large egg 3 egg yolks 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk 1/4 teaspoon freshly, and very finely ground nutmeg 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1-2 vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon fine salt 9-inch unbaked pie crust
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). 2) Whisk together pumpkin puree, egg yolks, and egg in a large bowl until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and Chinese 5-spice powder; whisk until thoroughly combined.
3) Fit pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate and crimp edges. 4) Pour filling into the pie shell and lightly tap on the work surface to release any air bubbles. 5) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. 6) Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake until just set in the middle, 30 to 40 more minutes. A paring knife inserted into the filling, 1 inch from the crust, should come out clean. Allow to cool completely before serving.
7) Add some whipped cream and decorate if you wish.
How To Make Apple Pie
Ingredients 1 pie crusts homemade or store-bought Filling 3-5 chopped apples 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar 2 tablespoons (15 grams) all-purpose flour 1-2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg Topping 1.5 cup flour 3/4 brown sugar 1/3 white sugar 1 stick of butter 1/4 cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. 2) Roll the pie crusts out and place on pan. Transfer the pan and any leftover pie crust dough to the refrigerator while you make the filling. 3) In a large mixing bowl, mix together the chopped apples, sugar, flour, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and ground nutmeg until fully combined. Remove the pan from the refrigerator and distribute the apple pie filling.
4) To make the topping of the apple pie: in a bowl, mix 1 - 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup light-brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and cinnamon. Cut 1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter into pieces. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until large clumps form. Divide mixture in half; freeze in plastic storage bags
5) Distribute the topping on top the pie until fully covered.
6) Bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes or until the pie crust is lightly golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
Once we were done, we had to do a taste test and they ended up being both SO delicious.
However, we didn’t want to be biased on who we thought won this bakeoff so we wanted YOU to choose the winner. Since you can’t try the desserts digitally (can that be a thing soon?) I put a poll on Instagram to ask which one looks visually better. And the voting was so close! And it would constantly change every few minutes! It ended with Pumpkin Pie winning with 54%
Make sure to follow me at @nadiarassoul_ if you want to vote and participate for the future! And let me know if you end up baking one of these treats and how it turned out!
Thanks Noor for doing this with me and staying past your bedtime (LOL love you) and to my mum who was the photographer!
It was such a fun family night activity together and would love to do more!